Monday 24 June 2013

SKOMER

I had always wanted to get close to Puffins, and the other sea birds.  A few years ago I travelled to the Farne Islands only to be disappointed by the weather and the boat not sailing due to strong winds.  The Spring of 2013 was not a good one weather wise, but my daughter Sarah organised a trip to Skomer, did all the driving and even carried my kit.  It is quite a difficult journey in that the roads are rather slow, we left very early morning and arrived at midday, just in time to catch the last boat to the island.  It was a Saturday, originally we were going to wait for the Sunday sailing but the forecast was very poor.
We had a splendid day, really memorable, I was not disappointed that due to the poor spring weather everything was delayed.  Breeding had not started but the Puffins and other sea birds had arrived and it was a wonderful experience.

These are some of the pictures I took on the Island.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. A very good start to your blog with this great topic. I like the lively narrative very much. The photos of the puffins are most beautiful. I hope you will post more pictures soon. Joëlle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joelle, I hope to be able to keep up the interest, I have always yours to follow as a model.

    ReplyDelete